April 25, 2008

BANG! BANG! BANG!

So, on my way to work today I was thinking to myself how I should handle today. Should I continue to hate the 45 minutes of lunch time spent with a new co-worker, or should I look at it as an opportunity to create an ally in the workplace? Well, a scone and three shots of espresso later, I concluded that I need to get over myself and deal with it. When I arrived at work, I was told that my co-worker/lunch partner has called in sick. Blessing from the Lord or deterrence from satan? Either way, I will be enjoying my chicken shawarma and side of hummus alone today. For the past seven Fridays (have I told you this?) I have been going to lunch at a Moroccan restaurant down the street from my dentist's office. I love this place because it is a converted 7-11 where my mom used to take me and my sisters to get a Slurpee after we got our teeth cleaned. Anyway, the restaurant is located a stone's throw away from the Irving Islamic Center, and Morocco being a mostly Muslim country, the place is owned and run by muslims. There is always a huge crowd of people there when I go in to order my food. I thought this weird since my lunch break is usually at two and the normal lunch rush is between 11:30 and 1:00. I asked my Muslim-smart friend, Hailee why this was. Apparently, they eat after their midday prayer and since their prayer times go with the sun, in the summer time, their midday prayer gets later and later...cool, yeah? OK, all that to say, I have made good friends with a waitress and a waiter there. They both know my order by heart and as soon as they see me come in, they put it in so the wait is not long. The waitress is so funny. She once told me that everything on the menu could be ordered to go, except the chef...I thought it was hilarious. I love this woman because even though she is very busy when I am there, she makes time to sit and talk to me. The waiter is probably 26 and has braces. He is so shy. I wonder why he chose to wait tables...? I am hopeful that one day I will get enough time with either of them to talk about Jesus. I know that the reason they are so kind to me is probably for the same reason...only reversed.

Well, today is a good day...bossman isn't here...which means I ---ooooh there's a cardinal out the window!!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

That's awesome, Vonda. I'm sorry we missed our chance to eat at that place.